Raspberry Mascarpone Gratin



I'm a little scared when I typed the title of this post. It seems like I posted too many raspberry stuff lately and most of them are paired with mascarpone (raspberry tiramisu, raspberry mascarpone cheesecake, raspberry charlotte with mascarpone, raspberry and white chocolate cheesecake, and now this). I apologize, I hope you can bear with me to get through this summer season with lots of raspberry desserts/cakes, plus I think I warned you before that this is coming, right? :P

Anyways, I've gotta tell you about this dessert as I love it so much. The first time I read Helen's post on Tartelette , I fell in love with it. Well in fact, I would easily fall in love with anything that has these two words on it. I kept postponing trying the recipe as somehow either I don't have the perfect opportunity/occassion to make it, or I just don't have everything ready. Until a few weeks ago, I wanted to bring something to work for a couple of friends to say thank you. Cake was definitely out of my options as there are only so many of us, and so I finally found the perfect time to give this recipe a try. Fortunately, I have everything in the fridge.



I gotta say that this dessert tastes like anything I've ever expected and wanted with raspberry and mascarpone combination, not to mention that it's a breeze to make too. Making this is super quick and easy and it tastes heavenly. The floral note of the raspberry and the subtle taste and creaminess of the mascarpone just made me falling in love even more with this two ingredients. I even made another one after this for my nephew and niece as they liked it so much. I had one left from work and gave it to them and turned out that they love it and asked for more. I just gotta make that again. My nephew had 3 ramekins in one sitting! Well, I thought him well to be a dessert snob :P. My niece had 2 and even that surprised me.

I think I would change the direction slightly as when I made this the second time (I didn't pay attention for the first time), the batter looked curdled. the result was okay but I'm still bothered by it. I think it's because the egg is added the last time. Next time, I would whisk the egg and the sugar first, then add the mascarpone and heavy cream. Once the egg is emulsified with the sugar, it'll be easier for the egg to get incorporated with the cheese and cream. The baking time depends on the size and the depth of your ramekins, so watch the texture to know when it's done. Just like creme brulee, you want the center to be slightly jiggly when you move it, and the outside set. It'll firm up in the fridge later on. I like to put pistachio on top as a garnish and as an added texture.



Mascarpone Raspberry Gratins
source: Tartelette

Serves 4-6 depending on the size of your ramequins.

1/2 cup (4 oz) mascarpone, at room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla bean paste or 1 tsp vanilla extract or 1/2 vanilla bean, seeded
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup fresh raspberries

In a large mixing bowl, whisk the mascarpone with the sugar until smooth. Add the vanilla, the egg and the egg yolk. Whisk until fully incorporated and add the heavy cream. Make sure everything is well combined and divide between your ramequins, not filling them all the way to the top, about 3/4 full. Divide the raspberries among the gratins and set the dishes in a deep roasting pan. Fill the pan with water, half way up the sides of the dishes and bake at 340 for about 20-25 minutes or until they seem to be barely set: still giggling a little when you move the pan but not completely wobbly. They will continue to bake and set as they cool. Let cool and serve either chilled or at room temperature.


No comments: